Re:store Justice's Policy Director, Kate Chatfield, is a guest on KQED FORUM to discuss the felony murder rule and SB 1437. There will be a pro/con discussion of SB 1437 and listeners will be invited to call in.
We would like to encourage anyone:
- who has a personal story to share involving the unfair application of the felony murder rule;
- who has questions about the impact of the felony murder rule on young people, people of color, and women;
- who has a question whether the research reveals that the FMR has ANY deterrent effect;
- who has a question regarding why this aspect of our criminal law does not take a person’s intent into account, especially when the resulting sentence is one that is 25 years to life;
- or any other question or comment you may have about the importance of just laws in California.
The call-in number is (866) 893-5722.