Please join us in calling our representatives to let them know that we want to see fairness reflected in our criminal justice system!
Directions : 1. Click on the CALL button above. 2. Dial in to connect to your representative's office. 3. Guide your call using the script below.
State your name.
State where you’re from (town and zip code).
State that Senator XX is your representative.
Inform of the purpose of your call, i.e.
"I am calling to urge Senator XX to vote to pass SB 1437”, "I am calling to express my support for SB 1437 and I hope that the Senator will vote to pass this important bill.” [it is very important to refer to the bill by its number; this is the way staff track the calls.]
This bill is important because it:
- “brings fairness to our criminal justice system”
- “amends California law to connect individual responsibility with criminal sentencing”
- “amends California law so that individuals are held responsible for their level of participation in a homicide”
- "reforms an antiquated practice that disproportionately affects youth, women, and people of color. According to a 2018 survey by the Anti-Recidivism Coalition and Restore Justice, 72% of women currently incarcerated in California with a life sentence did not commit the homicide."
- "other jurisdictions around the country, such as Arkansas, Massachusetts, Kentucky, Hawaii, Michigan, and Ohio, have effectively narrowed the scope of the felony murder rule and limited the application of their murder statute. These states are a mix of Republican and Democratic-leaning jurisdictions."