Re:store Justice Staff Attorney
Location: San Francisco, CA
Application Deadline: July 1, 2018
Start Date: August 1, 2018
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Health benefits included.
*Restore Justice, a rapidly growing non-profit dedicated to the reform of California’s criminal justice system is seeking a dynamic and committed Staff Attorney for a full-time position. We are looking for someone who enjoys research and writing, has a positive attitude, and can keep up in a fast-paced environment that requires working with others committed to change. The ideal candidate is passionate about criminal justice reform, restorative justice, and human rights. Those who have had direct contact with the criminal justice system, including the formerly incarcerated, are encouraged to apply. 2018 law school graduates and post bar candidates are encouraged to apply. The Policy Associate will work directly for our Policy Director. For more information on our work and mission, please visit www.restorecal.org.
Job duties include, but may not be limited to:*
● Researching legal statutes, case law, and best-practices from other jurisdictions for proposed legislation;
● Representing clients in conjunction with Restore Justice for parole hearings;
● Working with legislative staff on current and prospective legislation;
● Drafting quarterly legal in-prison newsletters for incarcerated membership;
● Managing the coalition of community partners who assist in legislative efforts;
● Creating agendas and follow up with partners on key action items;
● Creating materials for legislative meetings;
● Assisting in community trainings;
● Creating material for trainings and advocacy visits for 100+ people; and Engaging in state-wide outreach to lawyers, community activists, and impacted people to engage others in our work.
Educational requirements: J.D. with an interest in criminal law. Post-bar candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Please apply by sending your cover letter and curriculum vitae, and a brief writing sample to email@example.com. Due to the large response, we may not be able to respond to each application. Thank you for your interest!